10 June, 2008

an architectural exposure

This is EXACTLY what I wanted out of working here: to be thrown into architectural theory, practice, and play.

This Thursday there will be a symposium held in Frankfurt where JEFF KIPNIS and other big names will be giving crits to students and speaking to the public. If I have nothing to do at work, that is where I will be.




International Practices:

http://www.coop-himmelblau.at/

As the architect and designer of the BMW Welt (pics of which are featured in a previous blog entry) CHBL seems to have created an icon for himself: steel + glass... I am tempted to call him Gehry-esque stamping his style accross the world.
-Local to Germany includes BMW Welt, München
-Local to US includes the Ohio Akron Art Museum.



http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Practice/Default.aspx

Who on the 21st of June have been commissioned to lead an interactive sculpture peice will be launching the London Festival of Architecture and will be created and demolished by the public, all in one day. Sound artist is the famous San Franciscan Bill Fontana.
-Local to Germany includes Free University, Berlin (97-05)
-Local to US includes World Trade Center Design (2002), Greenwhich St (06-12),
-Local to CA includes Clark Center @ Stanford (99-03)


www.graftlab.com
Famous for their ongoing interaction with Brad Pitt, this firm does more than just pose for the Paparazzi in Hollywood. They are world class architects of hotels, are featured in art exhibitions, and even design furniture.

www.makeitrightnola.org

-Local Germany: Hotel Q, Berlin (02-04)
-Local U.S: Design Resort Hotel, Palm Springs (02-now)
Sirens Club @ Treasure Island, Vegas (03-04)
-Local CA: Brad Pitt's Guest House, LA (99-01)

http://www.zaha-hadid.com/

If you know me at all, you already know she is my hero. What you may not know is that I will finally see some of her European architecture in person. Analogy: she reminds me of Ursula from the Little Mermaid, and even though I know the movie by heart, I would probably still give ZH my voice if it meant I got Prince Eric.
-Local Germany: Science Center, Wolfsburg
-US: Cincinatti
http://www.zahahadidblog.com/


http://designmuseum.org/
London. a great way to keep up with top notch shit



No comments: