09 July, 2008

a weekend in Berlin w/ yo mama is...




Going anywhere at the ass-crack of dawn having gotten no sleep the night before and enduring a massive hangover is never any fun. Add your mom to the mix and one can only expect a horrible weekend of endless nagging and never-ending “I-told-you-so's".

I was expecting the worst (namely because of the activities I participated in the night before celebrating America's Independence) and was quite afraid to face my mother during the 6 hours of our train ride to Berlin.

Luckily, the journey was comfortable and I was able to alleviate my uncomfort with sleep and lots of water, and travelling with my mom and aunt actually proved to be a quite enjoyable experience. She managed to ignore the bags under my eyes (aided by my trusty sunglasses) and didn't mention her "disappointment" with my 7 am arrival back home.

We took Germany's ICE (inter country/continental? express) train from München to the Berlin Hauptbanhof. Upon our arrival we made our way over to the designer Hotel Q! where we spend 3 days, 2 nights and a numerous amount of Euros.



BERLIN
I think I saw just about everything Berlin had to offer, and then some! I didnt get to spend as much time as I wouldve liked in any of the museums on museumsinsel but there is only so much one can see in one weekend.

We checked in around 2 pm, and upon dropping our bags off in the room we left to see the city.

Saturday included:
1. Reichstag (dome by Norman Foster)http://www.hoffmann.caltech.edu/placesVisited/Aug05/images/Reichstag%20Berlin%202005.jpg
2. Brandenburger Tor (where Obama will reportedly make a speech on the 24th of July)Image:BrandenburgerTorGold.JPG
3. Madame Tussaud's (drove by, didnt enter.... "Hitler" was beheaded here this day within 3 minutes of the exhibition's opening)
Hitler waxwork at Madame Tussauds in Berlin
4. Alexander Platz
http://www.architekten24.de/mediadb/news/6570/naturstein-1.jpg

Sunday included:
1. Neue National Galerie by Mies van der Rohe http://www.europestring.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/img-7470.jpg
2. a ferry along the River in the center of Berlin.. reminiscint of the river which flows through chicago
3. the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe by Peeter Eisenman


4. a stroll through Museumsinsel which contains the Bode Museum and countless others...


Monday included:
1. shopping!!!!!! though the euro is much too strong right now to spend my measley dollars there. I did buy some yummy Tamaris though..
2. The tallest building in Berlin .. the tv tower.





Back to work on Tuesday!

No comments: